Quantum Forum V

Quantum Forum for DXi V5000

I'm trying to do a V1000 install and it's not working. The only thing I'm doing different than all my other installs is that we have to set the IP manually instead of through DHCP. It's having an issue during boot right before the log-in prompt:

File system 'vol0' successfully created.
Select FSM "none"

Starting FSS locally.
Start FSS "vol0"

FSS 'vol0' start initiated.

vol0[0] pid 7088
   State: LAUNCHED (no substate) Datestamp
   Last Admin: START Datestamp
   Launches 1, core dumps 0, flags <!CONFIGURED,AUTO-START>

Select FSM "none"

Cannot activate FSS vol0
Activate FSM "vol0"

mount.cvfs: Can't mount filesystem 'vol0'     No such process
System log may contain additional details.
Could not mount cvfs filesystem. Aborting...
Failed to create SNFS correctly, aborting firstboot!

I don't know the password to log-in to the console and I've never had this happen before. Any suggestions? We've already tried deleting the appliance and redeploying it. I can't deploy it on an interface with DHCP, even temporarily.

I got a copy of the V1000 User Manual and it seems that I have to enable the CLI accounts before I can use them. How do I do that with no GUI?

edit:

I was able to log in as cliadmin/cliadmin and am now at a bash prompt. Not all linux commands are working so I'm not sure what I can do from here now.

Views: 426

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Ray, going through your discussion it seems that u have overcome the issue, see i am also facing same type of issue, and i am new to the quantum, i have already posted the my question on this issue , but no body replied to it, can u help me on this, means i am doing POC in one of my customer place and i have already deployed VMPro, but when i am deploying the DXI v1000 i am getting the same issue, and i am not able to get the web console of DXi v1000 vm, it is just gettting stuck in login cmd prompt, as it is production environment and we are using the static IP.

Please guide me how to resolve the issue.

I had to deploy the appliance to VMWare Workstation with DHCP initially, then repackage it as a ovf appliance file. Then deploy the new ovf file to the ESXi servers. You have to get through the initial boot first.

Read through all the replies in this discussion. If they don't help you then it's a different issue than I had.

Good luck!

Hello Mark, if i may interject,

i'm facing the same issues and i checked with the network admin guy. he says that we have to use vlan tagging if we're using a trunk link (which is what we're using on our ESXi servers).

also, we dont have DHCP on our network, so i'd have to put the IP manually.

Is this why my boot fails ? I do get a message about error creating SNFS filesystem, etc.. does it have to do with the fact about IP addresses ?

Hi HP Cre,

It's not the IP addresses or DHCP, it's the use of VLAN tagging, and yes it illogically, seems to effect FS building. To get around this I had to build the VM on another machine without VLAN tagging, get past the initial boot, then rebuild it as an appliance in that state. Take the rebuilt appliance to the production ESXi server and it will deploy successfully.

Thank you,

Ray

hey Ray, thanks for the reply,

i've tried the same thing. to build it on my desktop with vmware workstation using a private dhcp network.

it gets the ip fine, but same error about building the SNFS filesystem.. 

That's different than mine... Did you redeploy the appliance fresh on your workstation or try to copy the vmdk's from the ESXi host? You need to do a fresh deploy from source files.

i deployed it directly from a fresh ovf downloaded from quantum.

everytime i try i use a fresh ovf. both on the ESXi and on my workstation.

but now i know why it wont boot on the ESXi, because of vlan tagging. I'm currently trying on my WS

I'm off for the day. thanks for the help. i've tried it many times on my WS and nothing new.

You are welcome and glad we could help.

Comments about install being cleaned up well understood and we are busy working right now on enhancements in this area.

Please do let us know how well the system works for you.

i have the same exact issue. i'm working with support but no news yet.

you can login with cliadmin. there is a shell they use which includes all the commands you need to get and set any configuration and run backups, etc...

its called syscli. to get help run syscli -h

so for example,

syscli --get network

will give you network related info. of course, because of the problem we faced, you'll get an error whenever you try to run anything.

As a note if the DXi V1000 fails it's initial boot, you will have to re-install the OVF. You really can't continue after that initial boot if it fails.

We are aware of the issue with initial boot under certain circumstances. For example, on a pure network with no VLAN and only manual IP addressing, the system will install just fine, prompting for manual IP address input as needed during initial boot.

IF, you can at all get the OVF to boot either on a non-VLAN or a network where DHCP is enabled, you can complete the installation, configure the license and then enter the proper IP addresses for your eventual deployment. So, if you can connect the initial boot of the VM to a private NIC or such, then you can complete the configuration of the manual IP address during boot (as you will be connected to the console of the system during boot, not it's Web interface).

The V1000 DOES support a VLAN-based network for it's IP address after initial configuration. It also supports DHCP and manual IP address setting.

Again, working on a better solution for this long term. 

Thanks for helping us and for using the DXi V1000.

Hi,

I get the following error on my lab :

Select FSM "none"

Cannot activate FSS Vol0

mount.cfs Can't mount filesystem 'vol0' no such process

could not mount cvfs filesystem aborting

this is Fatal

Failed to restore config a DB data with Syncnode - from aborting fistboot.

Than I cannot connect to the web browser.

Any ideas ?

Yes, pull an IP address from DHCP to start and assign static when the Web GUI comes up.

RSS

Tips + Tricks

© 2024   Created by Quantum Forum V.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service