Quantum Forum V

Quantum Forum for DXi V5000

I know the requirement is Intel i7 CPU. Is there a reason why AMD processor cannot be used? Has anyone tried DXi v1000 on AMD Platform? I am in the middle of setting up my own server with low budget; I thought if I use AMD processor with 8 cores, that will be cheaper than i7-4*** based server. Any inputs along this line is highly appreciated. Thanks.

Views: 94

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello Jeffsa,

Currently AMD processors are not supported. I have not heard of a time frame when they will be.

Thanks Jerry. Please correct me if I am wrong in my below statement.

1. If I run the DXi V1000 using VMWare Player on a Windows Machine having AMD Processor, DXi V1000 will run but it is not supported. 

Am I correct or wrong? If this "statement 1" is correct, I would like to try it; ofcourse the risk is on me.

If the "statement 1" is wrong, please check if my next statement is correct or wrong.

2. If I run the DXi V1000 using VMWare Player on a Windows Machine having Intel Processor, DXi V1000 will run and it is supported.

If the above "statement 2" is correct, I would like to try it; If its wrong, are you telling me that DXi V1000 can only be hosted on an ESXi hypervisor (on Intel platform)?

Please correct me. Thanks in Advance.

I checked the DXI v1000 install guide.

Below are the requirements. So to answer your question, both statements are correct.

If you try installing and booting the DXi v1000 on an AMD server the DXI v1000 will most likely not boot fully.

However you can use VMWare Player 9 on a server with an i7 quad-core Intel processor to host the DXI v1000.

The V1000 will not work on an AMD processor because it is compiled to use the specific SSE instruction set that is present only on the Intel chipset.

The product will not complete it's boot process if you attempt to run it on an AMD chipset.

Thanks for your precise reply Mark. This answers my first question.

Now my question on VMPlayer..

I have purchased Intel processot i7-4790K with Asus motherboard Z97K. So, to have everything on a single machine. I have to install Windows 7 as the host Platform OS.  Then in that I have installed VM Player. within VM Player, I have installed ESXi 5.5.

Now my plan is to install DXi V1000 on ESXi platform. I guess it will work but with performance penalty (since works on two virtualization layers.

To avoid the performance penalty, can I just run DXi V1000 appliance on VMPlayer it self?  or is it a must that it should run on top of ESXi platform only?

Thanks In advance.

Yes, you can run the V1000 directly on top of VMware Player.

Note that our own vmPRO product will NOT work in VMware Player in general because of it's requirements to interface with the ESX api. However, DXi V1000  does not have this requirement.

So, yes it will work.

RSS

Tips + Tricks

© 2024   Created by Quantum Forum V.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service