Quantum Forum V

Quantum Forum for DXi V5000

Hello, I have several DXi V1000s deployed at a customer site. They all are/will replicate to a physical 6701 at my location.

We have configured the file/directory based replication and it seems to be working. When vmPRO backups are running we can see data replicating to the target 6701. However there is some confusion concerning synchronization and whether the V1000s should be set to automatically synchronize with the 6701. 

Also, when reading the discussion in the users guide on performing a fail back to the source system there is a reference to using a snapshot. Is the snapshot part of the scheduled replication? Or does that happen as part of the normal "on demand" replication?

thanks!!

Views: 48

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello Robert,

At 2.2.1 firmware you only should need to run the sync job once when you originally set up the sync'ed shares between the source and target DXi. If replication fails or is paused for any reason, then the sync job can be run again to ensure the sync'ed shares are mirrored. The sync job does not have the ability to be scheduled and does not need to be.

Snapshot are for namespace replication. The main difference between namespace replication and file/directory replication is that with file/directory mini snapshots (contains metadata) are also continuously replicated and with namespace mini snapshots are not, so the scheduled replication for namespace is the event where the snapshot (contains metadata) is sent to the target DXi so when need the data can be recovered on the target or failed back to the source and then recovered. The replication job can be scheduled (typically set to run once a day) but if you are using file/directory replication no need to worry about this.

The neat thing about vmPro is that in the event you lose the share on the v1000 and need to run a backup or restore, all you need to do is point the vmPro to see the sync share on the 6701 and you would be able to run backups and restores from that share until the v1000 becomes active again.

Thank you Jerry. That's a much better description than I've been able to find so far.

Robert

RSS

Tips + Tricks

© 2024   Created by Quantum Forum V.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service