Quantum Forum V

Quantum Forum for DXi V5000

Dear,

We are just validating the DXi-V5000 as a potential replacement in our global backup strategy for our remote sites. We are using consequently Veeam Backup & Replication v11 to manage this.

Today we have dominant Windows based remote proxies to our hypervisors and store there either on ReFS or NTFS the primary backups. To achieve secondary offsite backups, we are using either central StoreOnce appliances remotely via their native Catalyst protocol, ScaleOut repositories towards AWS S3 (not Glacier yet), or local StoreOnces replicating to central ones.

The DXi-V5000 appealed itself recently, and we try to find out, how far we can go to use it later, either as community or paid version. Depends on sizing and support needs.

I just performed a couple of steps, am happy so far with the results, however handful points are appeared, and I wanted to use the community here to kickoff a discussion.

• NIC shows 1GBit in the GUI while from the Linux kernel messages it shows the correct 10GBit
  • Difference in network throughput doing backups and restoring backups, a kind of "in" is the double than compared to "out"
  • Sadly to see, even it seems to be a standard CentOS platform, the Veeam v10 Linux based VMware proxy role cannot be installed (Veeam declined it due it is a "Quantum DXi")
  • After a first replication between two DXi, which worked greatly, I was able to recover a snapshot and was able load the restore points back to Veeam. However, when I trie to delete the recovered snapshots, I got and odd message "feature VTL is not supported on this system". No idea, how to get rid of the thingy
  • The worst thing I noticed, I did set a ScaleOut repository in Veeam to conjunct the DXi as primary backup target to an onprem S3 object storage and started the tiering. Unexpectectly the throughput was not acrossing 10 MB/s, which is cleary too low. For the insiders of Veeam, I set the DXi to be the "gateway" towards the S3 object storage, which simulates the case or our remote sites, as they have their own broadband Internet circuit.

Any kind of feedback is highly appreciated!

PS: To be fair, I forgot to mention, it is a great product anyway, and the approach to open it for small use cases, is making the solution truly sexy to look at.

Regards,

Nico

Views: 241

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Looks like there's a limit to reply depth on this forum so I'm replying to an earlier message, but ...

We can do instant recovery without a vpower NFS. We just confirmed that with the BU repository unselecting the VpowerNFS check box instant recovery worked just fine with a V5000. Though I'm sure you'll want to test this on your system to confirm.

BTW we are testing on Veeam 12 which isn't actually released yet. We didn't test on Veeam 11 (it's 12 we have in our lab for testing/validation).

RSS

Tips + Tricks

© 2024   Created by Quantum Forum V.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service