Quantum Forum V

Quantum Forum for DXi V5000

DXi V1000 replication. Cannot see all data in CIFS shared folder on target DXi V1000 appliance

Hello,

I am doing the evaluation of using Quantum DXi V1000 VA as a target for weekly/monthly/yearly backups. I have setup 2 Quantum DXi V1000 on site A and site B. DXi-V1000 on site A is the target for Veeam backup and it is configured as a source replication for DXi V1000 on site B.

When I am checking the replication status and data on DXi V1000 on both sites from Internet Browser (IE) – all looks good. Both appliances have around 600 GB data and similar deduplication/compression ratio.

When I am accessing data through CIFS share using Windows Explorer I see all folders and files on the source DXiV 1000 on site A but on site B on DXi V1000 (target) I do not see the same folders/files. I see only 3 folders from 4 on site A and the biggest folder has only two small files vs 7 files on site A (including 2 big files with full VM image).

Could you please help/advise?

Thank you,

Joseph

Views: 70

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello Joseph,

It sounds like you are using Directory/File based replication meaning you have mirrored shares on both the source and target DXis. As files are opened, modified, and closed on the source DXi, those changes are replicated over to the target DXi.

Slow replication throughput may explain why the shares on the source and target are not currently mirrored. From the source DXi, click on a share that is being replicated, then click on Queue. Are there a large number of tags waiting to be replicated over?

In addition to setting up the shares in a Directory/File based, are you also running either a schedule replication job or kicking of a manual sync job? If so, while either of these jobs are running, the Directory/File based replication will pause which will cause the Directory/File Replication queue to grow and may explain the differences between the source and target DXis.

With Directory/File based replication you only need to run the manual sync job once after the shares have been created on the source and target DXi. There is no need to run a scheduled replication job.

For a test, you can select a share enabled with Directory/File based replication and run a synchronize now job. Once the job completes, check the shares on both the source and target, they should now be mirrored. Ensure that no scheduled replication jobs are enabled on the share and make sure to not run another synchronize now job. Wait for two or three  backup jobs to complete then the shares again. If they are not mirrored then the first thing to check would be the throughput between the source and target DXis.

I was using Directory/File based replication. It worked fine on the same network segment on the same site. But when configured via WAN link between two different sites, the speed is very slow, less than 1k/sec. And the status showed "recovering" for ever. What did I do wrong with the setup or configuration? My WAN link speed is about 25Mb/s down and 10Mb/s up. Please advise.

RSS

Tips + Tricks

© 2024   Created by Quantum Forum V.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service